DSWD lifts up NCR homeless street families through the extended cash transfer
MANILA, Aug. 17 (PNA) – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has started a giant step into poverty alleviation by lifting out the homeless street families from the streets where they used to call a home throughout their lives by way of the extended cash transfer.
DSWD Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman said this Extended Conditional Cash Transfer for Homeless Street Families (ECCT-HSF) Project is very important step because it focuses on the ones left behind in last year’s Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) attention – those who do not have permanent dwelling place.
”We acknowledge that your predicament now is not of your liking, and that we want that you will have changes in your life situation, to live in a more decent homes,” Soliman told the street families during the initial cash pay-out to 152 family-beneficiaries, held on Thursday at the San Andres Sports Complex in Malate, Manila.
Soliman said these families should be out of the streets, and this is what the program intends – to give them, aside from the cash grants, a housing assistance with access to social services and economic opportunities for the improvement of their living conditions.
”We in the DSWD, with the help of those regularly lending their hands for our projects are looking for a place where you could have a temporary shelter while we settle things for your permanent residences,” the DSWD chief assured the families.
She stressed that the cash assistance – P1,400 per street families each month – is basically for the children’s educational basic needs: school supplies, health and food, because “we do not want to see these children loitering around the streets begging, scavenging or doing something illegal.”
Acknowledging and lauding this very important project of President Aquino through Sec. Soliman, Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim said these street children should go to school and finish their studies for education is the means to keep them out of poverty.
He said that the health of the children is very essential. “If they are in schools they could be away from infecting their health while they are in streets.”
As for their temporary housing, the mayor said they are considering a building in Jose Abad Santos Avenue in Manila.
Annievie Aman, DSWD city link of the ECCT-HSF, who coordinates with the local government units and serves as guidance counselor for the street families, said that she was elated to see these families taken out of the streets and eventually uplifted from poverty.
She said she enjoyed working with them and hoped that the project would ultimately alleviate these homeless families from poverty.
Sec. Soliman said the government has slated five years for the program’s full implementation. (PNA)